Sunday, October 9, 2011

So happy fall is here!!!!!!

This is my favorite time of year, and in the hot, humid, swampy flat landscapes of Eastern North Carolina, it hasn't come too soon. In fact, it seems that summer has wanted to hang on, and linger, and linger, and linger forever. 

I've always found summer so oppressive.

Fall reminds me of two things:
1-- Football weather.

I don't watch football. Don't really care for it, to be honest. But, I do remember sitting in the stands with my friends as members of my high school marching band, watching the "Mike Man" do push ups from my seats in Kenan stadium while at the University of North Carolina, and yes, even looking over at the leaves starting to crisp from the 7th floor study lounge of Davis Library (I was a geek, what can I say?)

2-- Possibility

I remember the first "floor" meeting we had in my dorm. It was my freshman year at UNC-Chapel Hill (a place I dreamed of going since 7th grade) and there was something about the fall that first year. It let me know that there is always possibility, that there are always new beginnings, that no matter what we've done, it seems we can reinvent and transform ourselves into something greater.

I have a quote on my laptop that I like by Ivy Barker Priest.
It reads:
"The world is round, and the place that may seem like the end may actually, in fact, be only the beginning."

That's what I think of when I feel the first crisp of fall.

No comments: