Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The wonder of black and white photography

I love black and white portraits.
I've been tempted to go back into my files and pull up some old photos I did way back when in Journalism School.

SIDEBAR:  Believe it or not, my concentration was in photojournalism, not in writing. I had already completed two writing internships, and figured it was time to try something new. It was an unbelievable amount of work, but I've never regretted the decision....even if black and white darkroom skills are become obsolete for all but the most artsy endeavors, it is still a useful skill to have. Kind of like researching in the old card catalogues in the library and pulling up microfilm. A pain? Sure. Do I love Google? If Google were a man, I 'd marry it. But still, "grunt" research work is always a good skill to have. Always.

Anyway, I came across these great portraits on Time magazine. I love the black and white work, and I love the portraits. There's a gritty, unrehearsed realness to black and white photography.

My favorite portraits in the works are those of George Clooney and Tilda Swinton. (or is it Swanton?)
Anyway, enjoy!

Coming of Age in America: Portraits

Time's Best Portraits of the Past Year

No comments: