Thursday, August 25, 2011

Hurricane Irene update from North Carolina

We interrupt Aussie August to bring you….Hurricane Irene


Looks like the last few posts will continue into an Aussie September. I wanted to give folks in other parts of the world some updates on what’s going on weather-wise around here (you know who you are, you way cool European and Aussie dudes!)

Long story short: looks like the storm is tracking farther inland than suspected, so lots of Eastern NC cities are in the crosshairs. Without giving away too much of my location, let’s say I’m near Raleigh, the state capital (which is a bit right to the center of the state).

Here’s one of the better hurricane tracking maps I’ve seen:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44270712/ns/weather/?GT1=43001#.TlagQV3shzY

And, while the folks on the coast have already evacuated, and the folks in Florida and the Gulf states are the ones who are old veterans at this, Carolina folks are also all-too familiar with it. Thankfully, I’m far enough inland that I *usually* don’t get some of the damage the coast does, though stranger things have happened---like Fran who bulldozed straight through Raleigh and Floyd that brought devastating flooding. (both of those were category 2). My area does not have required evacuation (and in fact, is a shelter point for many of those from the coast, because we’re only 2 – 3 hours from the beaches.)

If you haven’t been to the barrier islands/ Outer Banks of North Carolina, they are little more than a narrow strip of sandbars (we’re amazed every year they don’t erode into the sea), which are amazingly beautiful in summer, but not much help during hurricanes. Ocracoke, one of the remote islands you may have heard about them evacuating, is very small---population 800 and the only way to the island is by ferry. The population booms in the summer with tourists (it’s frequently listed in “Dr. Beach’s” top ten) and the natives have a distinct brogue that sounds closer to an Irish or Scottish accent. These ferries on or off the island (depending upon which one you take) are basically 45 minutes each way for the shorter routes. 2 hours if you want to get to the mainland and not another barrier island.

Oh, and here’s a little list that was interesting.---list of the most hurricane-prone states from NOAA

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/paststate.shtml

I’ll try to update and post and provide amateur video if y’all are interested.

I’m going to prepare for the power to go out and take in all my back yard furniture.

Prayers for safety appreciated---esp. for those folks who were hit so hard in the Dominican Republic and other cities.

2 comments:

Michael said...

Stay safe, my dear friend. When cyclone Yasi -- I think of a similar size to Irene -- hit Townsville in February, we lost power for seven days. I pray that you and all others affected will remain safe, the disruption will be copable, and, yes, your tin opener will continue to work. (In Feb, I lived on dry breakfast cereal and tins of mushrooms in butter sauce for a week...)

Dawn said...

Thanks Michael--- most likely we're far enough inland that we'll get flooding and power outages. So I'm charging everything within an inch of its life. If I have peanut butter, I'm happy.
(My "tin opener" --- I love the way you turn a phrase)

Thankfully, since the Outer Banks are evacuated, other than those few who decided to tough it out, I think there will be mostly property damage instead of loss of life.