Friday, December 23, 2011

Kindle and e-Publishing 4-1-1--plus writing tools


I finally did it.
So many people have asked me about the indie e-publishing movement and how to get on board and self publish their book that I’ve actually made a link to a short guide on my website.
So in celebration of the 99-cent indie book blowout (click icon to the right), I’ve posted a link to this quick guide.
You can find it here:
But before you go there, I highly suggest you review some of the great tips (new for some, a refresher for others) from my creative writing classes at this link:
One important caveate about self publishing on Kindle—and author JA Konrath said it best in this article from USA Today:

But before you quit your day job to become a best-selling e-book writer, Konrath points out that the vast number of books released in any form, print or e-book, don't sell. To become a successful writer, talent, hard work and self-promotion are important. But publishing remains, at heart, a lottery. "I've always had that caveat. You have to get lucky," he says

Link to the full article is: here

Though that may sound discouraging, it does hit on one note:
We write because we love to write. It’s fun. It’s cheaper than therapy. The bottom line is we continue to write, whether we become writer millionaires or not. There’s got to be a love for the process.
And why does it seem that so many books / discussions about writing deal with the publishing or e-publishing process and not the craft of writing? That’s like wanting to be an Olympic figure skater and obsess over what network will carry the Olympics instead of perfecting your figure skating.

2 comments:

sashastri said...

Hi there, awesome site. I thought the topics you posted on were very interesting. I tried to add your RSS

to my feed reader and it a few. take a look at it, hopefully I can add you and follow.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E-Publishing

Dawn said...

Thanks! So glad you liked the site. I'm trying to keep it relevant to readers and writers.
Glad to have you.
BTW-- my book St. Jude is FREE right now on Amazon's Kindle if you want to check it out....